Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Field Emission of Carbon Nanotubes - Screening Effect and Electric field enhancement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am an absolute newbie in COMSOL. I have trying to model the field enhancement of Carbon Nanotubes (CNT) in a field emission process. The outcomes that I was anticipated is similar to these:

www.comsol.com/paper/optimization-of-carbon-nanotube-field-emission-arrays-6288

nanoscalereslett.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/1556-276X-8-319

I started with a simple model consist of substrate-CNT cathode-anode as shown in the attached picture. I used Electrostatic study to compute the electric field distribution of the model. I have input potential of -100V at the substrate and grounded the anode. However, the outcome that I have obtained deviates from the anticipation. No field enhancement at the CNT tip and the electrical field is the same along the the CNT. At the same time, I have attempted to build a few more CNT around the initial CNT (as shown in the url link). The electrical field at the CNT tip(s) is identical despite single CNT/multiple CNT stays closely together.

Did I miss any steps in performing the simulation? You help is really appreciated. Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post 05.01.2017, 11:59 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yu Dian Lim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.