Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

measuring an acoustic wave flight time dependency on the temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Firstly I'm a newbie on comsol, so my problem has been maybe already solved in this forum, but I actually sought and I really didn't found how to make it

My problem is : I want to model an ultrasonic thermometer.

The concept is really simple, we use transducer transceiver to generate an acoustic wave in a open closed waveguide which is full of a defines gaz ( air ). And we have to measure the flight time which is dependent on the temperature.

So I just want to know, how can I generate an acoustic wave and measure the return of this wave in the same point.

I hope that my problem is clear and sorry about my english :)

1 Reply Last Post 28.10.2016, 12:04 GMT-4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 28.10.2016, 12:04 GMT-4
The dependence of air velocity on temperature is well known and indeed the acoustic velocity is included in COMSOL in the material model for air.

So I assume you want to model the transducer and its interaction with air. You will need to develop a multiphysics model using the pressure acoustics module and (presumably) the piezoelectric devices part of the structural mechanics module. (If your transducer is a piezoelectric transducer, as it often is).

Since the temperature dependence of velocity is not that strong it is not likely you will see much of a change in the return delay time. So I would use the transducer/ air model mostly to see the strength of the return signal for a given transducer drive condition.

D.W. Greve
DWGreve Consulting
COMSOL Certified Consultant
The dependence of air velocity on temperature is well known and indeed the acoustic velocity is included in COMSOL in the material model for air. So I assume you want to model the transducer and its interaction with air. You will need to develop a multiphysics model using the pressure acoustics module and (presumably) the piezoelectric devices part of the structural mechanics module. (If your transducer is a piezoelectric transducer, as it often is). Since the temperature dependence of velocity is not that strong it is not likely you will see much of a change in the return delay time. So I would use the transducer/ air model mostly to see the strength of the return signal for a given transducer drive condition. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting COMSOL Certified Consultant

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.