Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Connect feed to cavity resonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I need to connect a coaxial cable not on the two parallel face but on the straight line (as you can see in the picture). I have tried to make a hole but it doesn't work, anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance

6 Replies Last Post 27.10.2016, 15:35 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 25.10.2016, 16:20 GMT-4
Your picture seems simple enough. Let's refer to your 3 cylinders as Cyl 1 (the cavity), Cyl 2 (the outer coax), and Cyl 3 (the inner conductor of the coax). I'm going to assume you don't have any dielectrics involved here other than air or a constant dielectric overall, and that the coax ctr is perfectly conducting.

Step 1. Build Cyl 1.
Step 2. Build Cyl 2, making sure that it extends both into and out of Cyl 1 (not just touching it).
Step 3. Form the Union (Right click Geometry, then Boolean --> Union) of Cyl1 and Cyl 2, with the box that says to keep the boundaries not checked. This will form a nice junction.
Step 4. Build Cyl 3.
Step 5. Assuming you wish to model your coax center pin as a perfect conductor, you can now simply subtract it from the structure. I.e., Right click Geometry, then Boolean --> Difference. And be sure you subtract Cyl 3 from the Union you formed earlier.

And that should take care of the geometry. Now you are ready to set up the boundary conditions, mesh, etc., on your model. Hope that helps.
Your picture seems simple enough. Let's refer to your 3 cylinders as Cyl 1 (the cavity), Cyl 2 (the outer coax), and Cyl 3 (the inner conductor of the coax). I'm going to assume you don't have any dielectrics involved here other than air or a constant dielectric overall, and that the coax ctr is perfectly conducting. Step 1. Build Cyl 1. Step 2. Build Cyl 2, making sure that it extends both into and out of Cyl 1 (not just touching it). Step 3. Form the Union (Right click Geometry, then Boolean --> Union) of Cyl1 and Cyl 2, with the box that says to keep the boundaries not checked. This will form a nice junction. Step 4. Build Cyl 3. Step 5. Assuming you wish to model your coax center pin as a perfect conductor, you can now simply subtract it from the structure. I.e., Right click Geometry, then Boolean --> Difference. And be sure you subtract Cyl 3 from the Union you formed earlier. And that should take care of the geometry. Now you are ready to set up the boundary conditions, mesh, etc., on your model. Hope that helps.

Posted: 8 years ago 26.10.2016, 04:05 GMT-4
Thanks for the answer.
With this structure, the electric field is confined in the feed and the cavity is not excited ( as you can see in the picture). The parameters of the cavity should be:

- Cavity has air inside and PEC as boundary;
- Cavity has 120 mm radius and 251 width because should be designed by considering fundamental TE mode;
- In materials, cavity and inner conductor have air but outer coax has material (2.1 epsilonr , 1 mur, 0 sigma);

When I made the union of Cyl 1 and Cyl 2 I kept the box that says to keep the input objects checked, otherwise in materials I can't select outer coax to set the material (2.1 epsilonr, 1 mur, 0 sigma).

Thanks for the answer. With this structure, the electric field is confined in the feed and the cavity is not excited ( as you can see in the picture). The parameters of the cavity should be: - Cavity has air inside and PEC as boundary; - Cavity has 120 mm radius and 251 width because should be designed by considering fundamental TE mode; - In materials, cavity and inner conductor have air but outer coax has material (2.1 epsilonr , 1 mur, 0 sigma); When I made the union of Cyl 1 and Cyl 2 I kept the box that says to keep the input objects checked, otherwise in materials I can't select outer coax to set the material (2.1 epsilonr, 1 mur, 0 sigma).

Posted: 8 years ago 26.10.2016, 14:11 GMT-4
Ok, seems to me like the model may have worked. Are you simply reporting your results, asking for ideas about why the cavity wasn't appreciably excited, or perhaps something else?
Ok, seems to me like the model may have worked. Are you simply reporting your results, asking for ideas about why the cavity wasn't appreciably excited, or perhaps something else?

Posted: 8 years ago 26.10.2016, 18:25 GMT-4
I am sorry, I totally forgot the question. However Yes, I am asking for ideas about why the cavity wasn't appreciably excited.
I am sorry, I totally forgot the question. However Yes, I am asking for ideas about why the cavity wasn't appreciably excited.

Posted: 8 years ago 27.10.2016, 09:54 GMT-4
There are a number of possibilities. I suggest you post your .mph file to the discussion forum. If the solved file is too large, clear the solution and mesh first (on the menu bar, choose Study --> Clear All Solutions. and Mesh --> Clear All Meshes), save it under a new name, and post that file.
There are a number of possibilities. I suggest you post your .mph file to the discussion forum. If the solved file is too large, clear the solution and mesh first (on the menu bar, choose Study --> Clear All Solutions. and Mesh --> Clear All Meshes), save it under a new name, and post that file.

Posted: 8 years ago 27.10.2016, 15:35 GMT-4
Thank you very much for help, I have found the solution and I have putted the lumped port on the highlight face (in the picture) and putted a block between cavity and feed making a union between cavity and block.
Hope that this can be helpful for other people.
Thank you very much for help, I have found the solution and I have putted the lumped port on the highlight face (in the picture) and putted a block between cavity and feed making a union between cavity and block. Hope that this can be helpful for other people.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.