Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boundary conditions for 2 bonded wafers - membrane load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

when my 2 wafers get cooled down from 400°C to room temperature, they look like this: (attached pics). The graph shows the edge at lower left. This means, that the wafer's sidewalls move upstairs during cooling down.
Fixed point for this study was (0,0,0) - the corner at the lower center of the symmetric model.

Now the membrane on top of the second wafer should get stressed. I can't use a fixed constraint for the bottom of the lower wafer since his edges are lifted up. So again I use (0,0,0) as fixed point for boundary condition. But this only works as long as the remaining lower edges reach z=0 (they move downstairs due to membrane load) . As from now I need further boundaries that fix the corners at the bottom at z=0. Otherwise these corners would move to z<0 which stands for lifting up the center of the lower wafer. That won't happen in reality!

So I need boundaries for the lower corners, that only get effective if their z-coordinate gets z<=0. Is it possible to implement this in Comsol?

Next question concerns membrane load. I want to avoid a point load in the centre of the membrane since this is not a realistic case. In a bend test a stamp would transfer a defined force into the membrane. Don't know how to model this in Comsol. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Chris

3 Replies Last Post 10.01.2011, 03:51 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.01.2011, 23:49 GMT-5
Hi

if you apply a pressure on the top, I believe you need a contact type BC on the bottom , still restraining your central point in x,y to avoid lateral slipping. or use a small x,y spring constant to avoid a hard point

if you havent used contact before, try a couple of simple exercices, and check the KB + the forum more to learn there

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you apply a pressure on the top, I believe you need a contact type BC on the bottom , still restraining your central point in x,y to avoid lateral slipping. or use a small x,y spring constant to avoid a hard point if you havent used contact before, try a couple of simple exercices, and check the KB + the forum more to learn there -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.01.2011, 18:34 GMT-5
Hi,

found a very nice example for contact boundaries, called "Cylinder Roller Contact". That will be very helpful!

Still there is my question concerning "conditional" BCs. Is it possible to let some BCs only get active, if special parameters (for instance when a structure is reaching a certain coordinate due to deformation) are fulfilled?

Best regards
Chris
Hi, found a very nice example for contact boundaries, called "Cylinder Roller Contact". That will be very helpful! Still there is my question concerning "conditional" BCs. Is it possible to let some BCs only get active, if special parameters (for instance when a structure is reaching a certain coordinate due to deformation) are fulfilled? Best regards Chris

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.01.2011, 03:51 GMT-5
Hi

you can write equations that contain boleans, but note tha the solvers might well have convergion problems, s make these transitions smooth and at least derivable once, if not twice

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can write equations that contain boleans, but note tha the solvers might well have convergion problems, s make these transitions smooth and at least derivable once, if not twice -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.