Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

internal error in geometry decomposition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to make a simulation about eddy current testing for flaw in a tube. In my model a quarter of tube is built and I made a flaw in the middle of the tube. I got a error as the title when I try to mesh the geometry. why is there such a error. I'm confused.

Attached is my model. Thank you very much!

2 Replies Last Post 05.01.2011, 04:28 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.01.2011, 05:40 GMT-5
Hi

I cannot open your model in 4.1, there is an internal error in the geoemtrical decomposition, it seems too complex, or some pars are "almost touching", anyhow why all those layers ?

cannt you simply make a 1/4 shell an then add a slot as a few rectangles. Then you change the properties of the material.

Even I beleive you can make a virtual slot by using some bolean expressions in the material properties.

I always suggest to start ()very simple to get the model running and to be sure it's corect, then one can make it more realistic

furthermore I can only strongly suggest to get hands on the latest v4.1 patched as it works far more smoother than the 4.0

THere are more on this here www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1089/

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I cannot open your model in 4.1, there is an internal error in the geoemtrical decomposition, it seems too complex, or some pars are "almost touching", anyhow why all those layers ? cannt you simply make a 1/4 shell an then add a slot as a few rectangles. Then you change the properties of the material. Even I beleive you can make a virtual slot by using some bolean expressions in the material properties. I always suggest to start ()very simple to get the model running and to be sure it's corect, then one can make it more realistic furthermore I can only strongly suggest to get hands on the latest v4.1 patched as it works far more smoother than the 4.0 THere are more on this here http://www.comsol.eu/support/knowledgebase/1089/ -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.01.2011, 04:28 GMT-5
Hi,

Ivar, thank you for your reply. I use another method (extrude) to build the geometrical model and there is no error now. I do not know why. It is very weird. The final geometrical models are same. Fortunately the model is built yet.
Our software will be updated in a few days. Thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards.
Hi, Ivar, thank you for your reply. I use another method (extrude) to build the geometrical model and there is no error now. I do not know why. It is very weird. The final geometrical models are same. Fortunately the model is built yet. Our software will be updated in a few days. Thank you for your suggestion. Best regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.