Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Computing capacitance of a sub domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I've just completed the "computing capacitance" tutorial provided by Comsol here : www.comsol.com/model/computing-capacitance-12689

The model is constituted of a capacitor surrounded by air, and the tutorial shows how to compute the total capacitance, ie that of the dielectric + that of the air surrounding the capacitor. I would like to know how to calculate the individual contribtions of the dielectric and air to the total capacitance, in other words, how to calculate individually the capacitance of the dielectric and the surrounding air.

Thanks !

3 Replies Last Post 16.08.2016, 08:43 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 15.08.2016, 16:43 GMT-4
Pascal,

you can integrate the electrostatic energy in the subdomains you are interested in.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Pascal, you can integrate the electrostatic energy in the subdomains you are interested in. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 8 years ago 16.08.2016, 08:19 GMT-4
Thanks for the reply Edgar.

I was trying to find a way of using the derived values calculated automatically by Comsol, as detailed in the capacitance tutorial (Electrostatics>Terminals>es.C11 - Capacitance). Is this even possible for a sub-domain ?
Thanks for the reply Edgar. I was trying to find a way of using the derived values calculated automatically by Comsol, as detailed in the capacitance tutorial (Electrostatics>Terminals>es.C11 - Capacitance). Is this even possible for a sub-domain ?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 16.08.2016, 08:43 GMT-4

No, those are global quantities

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
No, those are global quantities -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.