Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help building a woodpile self-heating model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

For my Masters thesis I am use a model I found in literature (Ferrero et al., 2009) to simulate the self-heating of a large bark pile. These piles heat up similar to compost piles and this model accounts for the different heat sources.

However, my background is in Forestry and new to modeling so this model is way over my head.

I thought I would post in here, in case anyone would be willing to help me out. The model is a heat transfer model with 3 heat sources, which depend on the breakdown of the fuel and the changing concentrations different chemicals (and organisms).

I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around inputting everything into Comsol properly.

If you would be willing to help, my email address is: kristianericjohnson@gmail.com.

Thank you for any help.

1 Reply Last Post 26.07.2016, 09:35 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 26.07.2016, 09:35 GMT-4
It would be helpful to start with a description of what version COMSOL you have access to, and which modules. It might be possible to find a similar tutorial problem/application and just adapt it. But that is not much help if the tutorial is implemented with a module you don't have access to.

I am about to start a simple compost-type model, but don't know how much I can be. I am on 5.2a and have access to the basic Multiphysics plus chemical reaction and heat transfer modules.
cheers.

My suggestion would be to start simple and add complexity as each stage is tested and found to work.
It would be helpful to start with a description of what version COMSOL you have access to, and which modules. It might be possible to find a similar tutorial problem/application and just adapt it. But that is not much help if the tutorial is implemented with a module you don't have access to. I am about to start a simple compost-type model, but don't know how much I can be. I am on 5.2a and have access to the basic Multiphysics plus chemical reaction and heat transfer modules. cheers. My suggestion would be to start simple and add complexity as each stage is tested and found to work.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.