Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Undefined variable. - Variable: comp1.es.epsilonrmZY Failed to evaluate variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am designing a MEMS actuated optical filter for WDM applications,I am designing this filter on a cantilever beam of silicon, and for actuation purpose we are using piezoelectric effect. A piezoelectric material is sandwiched in the beam. This filter is multichannel and will have a serially coupled structure of Ring Resonator arrays. When DC voltage is applied to the beam then due to the piezoelectric effect the beam will expand both in horizontal and vertical direction and due to which the refractive index of ring resonator will change. Due to which it will allow a particular signal with a certain wavelength and block the other signals. This property is used in tuning the filter. Each set of filters is located in the middle of the ring to obtain uniform stress and longitudinal uniform strain.
This beam is multilayered the beam designed below is being used for actuation purpose when DC current will be applied it will expand and due to which the upper silicon beam which consists of array of ring resonator will also expand and shape of ring resonator will change because of it and wavelength tuning will be achieved.But when I try to compute I get the below described message

Undefined variable.
- Variable: comp1.es.epsilonrmZY
- Geometry: geom1
- Domain: 45
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: comp1.es.epsilonrS32
- Defined as: comp1.es.epsilonrmZY
- Variable: comp1.es.epsilonrZY
- Defined as: comp1.es.epsilonrS32
- Variable: comp1.es.chiZY
- Defined as: comp1.es.epsilonrZY
- Variable: comp1.es.PZ
- Defined as: epsilon0_const*(((comp1.es.EY*comp1.es.chiZY)+(comp1.es.EX*comp1.es.chiZX))+(comp1.es.EZ*comp1.es.chiZZ))
- Variable: comp1.es.DZ
- Defined as: comp1.es.PZ+(((comp1.spatial.detF*(comp1.es.Ey*(comp1.es.Iyy*(epsilon0_const*comp1.spatial.invF23))))+(comp1.spatial.detF*(comp1.es.Ex*(comp1.es.Ixx*(epsilon0_const*comp1.spatial.invF13)))))+(comp1.spatial.detF*(comp1.es.Ez*(comp1.es.Izz*(epsilon0_const*comp1.spatial.invF33)))))
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: d(((comp1.es.DX*test(comp1.es.EX)+comp1.es.DY*test(comp1.es.EY)+comp1.es.DZ*test(comp1.es.EZ))*comp1.es.d)*(dvol),{test@12})
Failed to evaluate Jacobian of expression.
- Expression: ((comp1.es.DX*test(comp1.es.EX)+comp1.es.DY*test(comp1.es.EY)+comp1.es.DZ*test(comp1.es.EZ))*comp1.es.d)*(dvol)

I am having some problems with meshing as well.This is my final year project.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Rahul Parganiha

0 Replies Last Post 15.05.2016, 03:01 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rahul Parganiha

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.