Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

MEMS Microcantilever with electrostatic actuation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm new to Comsol and would like to model a mems electrostatic switch. For this I am referring to this example:
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/444/
I was trying to understand the 3d model provided and am unable to understand the moving mesh features implemented. What kind of logic should we follow while adding prescribed mesh displacements?

Also I'd like the boundary load to act on only a portion of the cantilever. For this should I model the cantilever as 2 attached blocks, with the force acting on one of the blocks only? And should I place restrictions on the surface between the 2 blocks?

Also, is it necessary for the cantilever to be aligned to the side of the larger block? What differences would arise if I chose to displace it in the y direction so as to align it in the center of the bigger block?

Also, is it possible to do a transient analysis of the cantilever collapsing and plot a graph of the displacement of the cantilever versus time under the application of a step voltage input? If so, how should it be done?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can provide me on this. Any direction towards tutorials/models that may help would also be much appreciated.

5 Replies Last Post 06.05.2015, 20:43 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shakti Tripathy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 04.02.2013, 13:39 GMT-5
Hi
I am trying to mudle a cantilever with actuated electrostaically , so could you please send me a tutorial video or written version to know how use the esctrostic field to actuating the cantilever.

alll the best
Hi I am trying to mudle a cantilever with actuated electrostaically , so could you please send me a tutorial video or written version to know how use the esctrostic field to actuating the cantilever. alll the best

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2013, 23:03 GMT-4
Hi

I'm working with the same problem as you, I wonder if you have solved this.
If so,please let me know. Would you please show me some direction about
tutorials/models ?

I would appreciate your help very much.
Hi I'm working with the same problem as you, I wonder if you have solved this. If so,please let me know. Would you please show me some direction about tutorials/models ? I would appreciate your help very much.

Posted: 9 years ago 30.04.2015, 18:57 GMT-4
I think the issue is this example is really too complicated for optimal benefit. A super-simple electrostatically actuated contact relay would be very useful.
I think the issue is this example is really too complicated for optimal benefit. A super-simple electrostatically actuated contact relay would be very useful.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 02.05.2015, 04:27 GMT-4
Hi

the MEMS cantilever example is rather simple, so long one remain within the linear regime, but once one goes above the "pull-in" Voltage the non-linearity makes the solving process more tricky and it requires some tweaking, no ?

It's a good example to understand the frames: material and spatial in Solid, and the moving ALE mesh for the deforming air

If one take it in three steps, solved independently, before adding next physics:
1) cantilever alone Solid (I.e. eigenfrequency, + static with a boundary load)
2) cantilever with air box around deformed via ALE
3) add ES across the air domain

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the MEMS cantilever example is rather simple, so long one remain within the linear regime, but once one goes above the "pull-in" Voltage the non-linearity makes the solving process more tricky and it requires some tweaking, no ? It's a good example to understand the frames: material and spatial in Solid, and the moving ALE mesh for the deforming air If one take it in three steps, solved independently, before adding next physics: 1) cantilever alone Solid (I.e. eigenfrequency, + static with a boundary load) 2) cantilever with air box around deformed via ALE 3) add ES across the air domain -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 06.05.2015, 20:43 GMT-4
Thanks! This is indeed a very simple example, and it works to the pull-in point, when not surprisingly it fails due to metastability (or no solution at all) but the case I'm interested in is where there's a gate terminal and a separate contact terminal, the cantilever coming into contact with the contact terminal before the pull-in point is reached.

So in this example I reduced the thickness of the cantilever from 2 to 1 micrometer, eliminated the fixed constraint on the right (now the cantilever is supported on only one side), and created a little "contact" of polysilicon which, like the cantilever, is also at zero volts, and so there is no electrostatic force between the cantilever arm and the contact. The bottom boundary of the contact is constrained to prevent it from moving. I defined the contact as linear elastic material and defined a contact pair, on one side the lower boundary of the arm, on the other side the boundaries of contact rectangle. I then defined a default (electromechanical module) contact with the contact pair. This should result in the cantilever getting anchored on two rather than one side when the deflection is sufficient to bring these boundaries into contact.

This works up until contact, then it fails to converge. Here's a screen grab showing Von Mises stress immediately before contact. No stress at the eventual contact point = no contact yet; there's still a small gap:

i.imgur.com/rKmU59E.png

This is, I think, a fairly conventional electrostatically actuated micromechanical relay application, and it would be nice to see it work. Note this DOES work if instead of electrostatic actuation I used a fixed boundary load: then it comes into contact with the switch and stops, using the solid mechanics module and no air. I think perhaps the problem is the moving mesh in the air collapsing, or else it can't handle a gap going to zero even when the boundary condition on both sides is the same potential (0/0).

Any suggestions?
Thanks! This is indeed a very simple example, and it works to the pull-in point, when not surprisingly it fails due to metastability (or no solution at all) but the case I'm interested in is where there's a gate terminal and a separate contact terminal, the cantilever coming into contact with the contact terminal before the pull-in point is reached. So in this example I reduced the thickness of the cantilever from 2 to 1 micrometer, eliminated the fixed constraint on the right (now the cantilever is supported on only one side), and created a little "contact" of polysilicon which, like the cantilever, is also at zero volts, and so there is no electrostatic force between the cantilever arm and the contact. The bottom boundary of the contact is constrained to prevent it from moving. I defined the contact as linear elastic material and defined a contact pair, on one side the lower boundary of the arm, on the other side the boundaries of contact rectangle. I then defined a default (electromechanical module) contact with the contact pair. This should result in the cantilever getting anchored on two rather than one side when the deflection is sufficient to bring these boundaries into contact. This works up until contact, then it fails to converge. Here's a screen grab showing Von Mises stress immediately before contact. No stress at the eventual contact point = no contact yet; there's still a small gap: http://i.imgur.com/rKmU59E.png This is, I think, a fairly conventional electrostatically actuated micromechanical relay application, and it would be nice to see it work. Note this DOES work if instead of electrostatic actuation I used a fixed boundary load: then it comes into contact with the switch and stops, using the solid mechanics module and no air. I think perhaps the problem is the moving mesh in the air collapsing, or else it can't handle a gap going to zero even when the boundary condition on both sides is the same potential (0/0). Any suggestions?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.