Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem when importing .dxf file

Apostolos Bakovasilis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

When importing a .dxf file I get 100 warnings ( face to face inconsistency) and I have the following problem with domains: after forming an assembly, I want to add material on my domains. Unfortunately, there are 2-3 domains which I cannot select and it's really difficult to apply material or set initial values because there are so many boundaries.

How can I fix the "face to face inconsistency" warning and why I can't select these 2 domains?

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies Last Post 08.05.2016, 16:44 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 06.05.2016, 16:11 GMT-4
Hi

Most probably the issue is the loose format of DXF files, DXF was initially made to align lines between points, the topological concept of joining lines into "polylines" or closed lines, such that a surface could be defined was not really the issue when DXF was first invented. Therefore making 3D volumes from knitted together "closed" surfaces is even worse to achieve correctly in DXF.

Therefore I'm doing my best to avoid that format, when possible.

Try to use a higher level geometrical format, such as the one of Parasolid (x_t or x_b), or STEP, that should give less issues, if your CAD tool can provide these formats though.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Most probably the issue is the loose format of DXF files, DXF was initially made to align lines between points, the topological concept of joining lines into "polylines" or closed lines, such that a surface could be defined was not really the issue when DXF was first invented. Therefore making 3D volumes from knitted together "closed" surfaces is even worse to achieve correctly in DXF. Therefore I'm doing my best to avoid that format, when possible. Try to use a higher level geometrical format, such as the one of Parasolid (x_t or x_b), or STEP, that should give less issues, if your CAD tool can provide these formats though. -- Good luck Ivar

Apostolos Bakovasilis

Posted: 8 years ago 07.05.2016, 12:18 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

Thank you for being helpful. STEP or parasolid files are not supported by sketchup so I import the file as .dxf in Rhino and then I export it as a STEP file. After importing it in COMSOL i get the following error:"Internal error code 900".

Can someone help with this?

Thank you in advance.

Hi Ivar, Thank you for being helpful. STEP or parasolid files are not supported by sketchup so I import the file as .dxf in Rhino and then I export it as a STEP file. After importing it in COMSOL i get the following error:"Internal error code 900". Can someone help with this? Thank you in advance.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 08.05.2016, 16:44 GMT-4
Hi

Zoom in on the points and link all broken lines, tedious, but I know no other way, except use better tools ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Zoom in on the points and link all broken lines, tedious, but I know no other way, except use better tools ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.