Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multi-turn coil feature

Jan-Christian Gerlach

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

i am new to comsol. My task is to model the force of a (planar) multi-turn coil on a disc shaped permanent magnet which is situated with its symmetry axis colinear to the coil symmetry axis at some distance above the coil. The problem is 2D axisymmetric.

For modeling, i
- use comsol 5.2
- used the mf module
- added an amperes law for the permanent magnet with magnetization
- added a multi-turn coil node

Now, i got some issues with the multi-turn coil (mtc) settings:
I selected a rectangular domain for the mtc-feature. I assume the mtc-node splits this cross sectional rectangular area into round wires. The number of wires is determined by N and the cross section of each wire by "a_coil".

However, here is the problem:
Lets say the rectangle i chose has a cross sectional area of A_r.
What happens for instance if i enter a pair of N and a_coil that will be larger than A_r in total:
N*a_coil > A_r. Does it just fill the rectangle with as many wires as possible?
That does not make sense to me.

I tried to find out what effect varying the a_coil parameter has on the z-em-force in the symmetry axis of the magnet, and, surprisingly, the plot shows a constant line (that cannot be true, right??). So i guess there is something i did wrong.

Also i was wondering, is it possible to model the cross section of the wires as rectangles?
My idea would be to use the coil group check box and draw multiple rectangles and select those domains as the windings. But then it would be a pain in the ass to vary the coil windings.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

2 Replies Last Post 13.07.2016, 04:10 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jan-Christian Gerlach

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 12.07.2016, 12:04 GMT-4
Hello,
I wish I could be more help, but I am currently in the same boat as you. Did you ever manage to figure it out?
Thanks,
Ahmed
Hello, I wish I could be more help, but I am currently in the same boat as you. Did you ever manage to figure it out? Thanks, Ahmed

Posted: 8 years ago 13.07.2016, 04:10 GMT-4
The wire cross section is only used to calculate the Ohmic resistance of the coil when connected
to a circuit. It does not enter the finite-element calculation at all.

It is not check for consistency at all. It is up to the user to ensure a filling factor smaller than 100%

Regards

Jens
The wire cross section is only used to calculate the Ohmic resistance of the coil when connected to a circuit. It does not enter the finite-element calculation at all. It is not check for consistency at all. It is up to the user to ensure a filling factor smaller than 100% Regards Jens

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.