Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inter-diffusion between two pure metal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hallo,
I am pretty new in COMSOL and trying to simulate inter-diffusion between two pure metal (Cu and Sn). I made a simple model in comsol but not sure i considered the right initial condition. I attached also an image.

I put 2 diffusion coefficient for 2 pure metal and want to see how 1 metal diffuse into other one. Here i considered (Cu) is diffusing into (Sn), so (Sn) will be consumed over the time.

I will be so grateful if somebody can help me to simulate the problem with proper boundary condition.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best Regards,
Tito

3 Replies Last Post 16.08.2017, 03:40 GMT-4

Posted: 8 years ago 09.03.2016, 12:27 GMT-5
Hi

Transport of diluted species is not the proper physics, as it applies to the case where the diffusing species is embedded (dissolved) in the surrounding medium. You have to use Stefan-Maxwell diffusion, i.e. Transport of concentrated species because there is no medium. Try diffusion coefficient of the order of 10^-10 cm^2/s

BR
Lasse
Hi Transport of diluted species is not the proper physics, as it applies to the case where the diffusing species is embedded (dissolved) in the surrounding medium. You have to use Stefan-Maxwell diffusion, i.e. Transport of concentrated species because there is no medium. Try diffusion coefficient of the order of 10^-10 cm^2/s BR Lasse

Posted: 8 years ago 09.03.2016, 13:14 GMT-5
Hallo Lasse,
Thank you for correcting me to choose the physics module. But i'm a bit confused to set up the model in concentrated species specially transport properties (density =?), initial condition and boundary condition. I have tried to set up the model and attached it here.

Can you please guide me to set-up the model according to my desire (inter-diffusion between two pure metal). It would be so helpful for me if you guide me to set up the proper model, so that i can learn it properly.

Thank you with best regards,
Tito
Hallo Lasse, Thank you for correcting me to choose the physics module. But i'm a bit confused to set up the model in concentrated species specially transport properties (density =?), initial condition and boundary condition. I have tried to set up the model and attached it here. Can you please guide me to set-up the model according to my desire (inter-diffusion between two pure metal). It would be so helpful for me if you guide me to set up the proper model, so that i can learn it properly. Thank you with best regards, Tito

Posted: 7 years ago 16.08.2017, 03:40 GMT-4
Hello Chironjeet Chaki,

I'm working here on the same subject (i want to modelize the inter diffusion between iron and molten zinc (used in hot dip galvanization)). I'm wondering if you have succeeded to do your model, i'll be so grateful to you if you can give a hint or send me your model to have an example.
Hello Chironjeet Chaki, I'm working here on the same subject (i want to modelize the inter diffusion between iron and molten zinc (used in hot dip galvanization)). I'm wondering if you have succeeded to do your model, i'll be so grateful to you if you can give a hint or send me your model to have an example.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.