Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cyclic Voltammetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,
I am working on cyclic voltammetry on a 3-d model based on the 2-D model in the model exchange forum(www.comsol.co.in/community/exchange/203/). at lower scan rates I get the graph shown below (100mV/s) which shows certain anomaly while the voltage is increasing and at higher scan rates I get a spike at the beginning of the graph.
Can anyone please explain it to me what may be the reason that this is happening and help me with it.
Thank You

1 Reply Last Post 03.03.2016, 04:25 GMT-5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 03.03.2016, 04:25 GMT-5
Hi

You get the initial spike because the initial concentrations of the redox couple are

[Ox] = C_bulk*TH/(1 + TH)
[Red] = C_bulk/(1 + TH)

where TH = exp[nF/RT(E_i - E °')] and E_i = initial potential of the scan; C_bulk is the concentration of your electrolyte.

I got the same pattern before I changed the initial concentrations like that.

BR
Lasse
Hi You get the initial spike because the initial concentrations of the redox couple are [Ox] = C_bulk*TH/(1 + TH) [Red] = C_bulk/(1 + TH) where TH = exp[nF/RT(E_i - E °')] and E_i = initial potential of the scan; C_bulk is the concentration of your electrolyte. I got the same pattern before I changed the initial concentrations like that. BR Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.