Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Magnetostriction - mod1.Azy variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello
I'm modeling magnetostriction in a laminated core in 2D. I have studied the '''non linear_magnetostriction'' model in COMSOL and have compare my model with that. In my model everything looks alright but the model does not run and returns the following error:

Fail to evaluate variable Jacobian.
- Variable: mod1.Azy
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 2 ,5 , . . .
-Feature: stationary solver 1(sol1/s1)

Anybody has any comments?
Regards
Hamid

5 Replies Last Post 03.10.2016, 11:01 GMT-4

Posted: 8 years ago 25.02.2016, 10:48 GMT-5
Hi
I have to add a point. In fact this is very confusing for me that mod1.Az is a field component ( dependent variable) but this model was working before I add ''Solid Mechanics'' study.
Regards
Hamid
Hi I have to add a point. In fact this is very confusing for me that mod1.Az is a field component ( dependent variable) but this model was working before I add ''Solid Mechanics'' study. Regards Hamid

Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 26.02.2016, 13:34 GMT-5
Hi Hamid,

The Magnetic Fields physics is solved in the spatial frame (x,y,z i.e. non-solid) when there is no Solid Mechanics in the model. Therefore the spatial derivatives like. mod1.Azy i.e. derivative of Az with respect to y is available. However, if you solved Magnetic Fields together with the Solid Mechanics physics, the equations will be solved in the Material Frame (X,Y,Z i.e. Solid), the derivatives will be available as: mod1.AzY.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Nirmal
Hi Hamid, The Magnetic Fields physics is solved in the spatial frame (x,y,z i.e. non-solid) when there is no Solid Mechanics in the model. Therefore the spatial derivatives like. mod1.Azy i.e. derivative of Az with respect to y is available. However, if you solved Magnetic Fields together with the Solid Mechanics physics, the equations will be solved in the Material Frame (X,Y,Z i.e. Solid), the derivatives will be available as: mod1.AzY. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Nirmal

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 01.07.2016, 14:59 GMT-4
Of note in version 5.2a: new pre-implemented capabilities for modeling magnetostriction right out of the box in the Structural Mechanics Module: www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module .
Best,
Jeff
Of note in version 5.2a: new pre-implemented capabilities for modeling magnetostriction right out of the box in the Structural Mechanics Module: https://www.comsol.com/release/5.2a/structural-mechanics-module . Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 19.08.2016, 07:38 GMT-4
Hi Nirmal

I did not fully understand what you mean. Would you please clarify? I add and then disable the (solid) node in my model (in fact I'm not evaluating (solid) node at all) but after this, the model does not work anymore. What happens in the background and how can I fix it?

Best regards
Hamid
Hi Nirmal I did not fully understand what you mean. Would you please clarify? I add and then disable the (solid) node in my model (in fact I'm not evaluating (solid) node at all) but after this, the model does not work anymore. What happens in the background and how can I fix it? Best regards Hamid

Posted: 8 years ago 03.10.2016, 11:01 GMT-4
COMSOL support solved this problem:
The error is caused by a conflict in the handling of frames. The physics
interfaces in Comsol can be usually solved either in a Solid material
("Material" frame) or in a Non-solid material ("Spatial" frame).
Electromagnetic interfaces are however an exception, since they require a
special treatment in presence of deformations (for example, Lorentz
currents must be added to moving conductors).
Therefore, in the current version, the electromagnetic interfaces require
that the "Material type" setting is consistent in all the features (either
Solid or Non-solid) and with the frame selected in the physics node.

In your model, it is sufficient to change the Material type in Ampère's
Law to Non-solid.
COMSOL support solved this problem: The error is caused by a conflict in the handling of frames. The physics interfaces in Comsol can be usually solved either in a Solid material ("Material" frame) or in a Non-solid material ("Spatial" frame). Electromagnetic interfaces are however an exception, since they require a special treatment in presence of deformations (for example, Lorentz currents must be added to moving conductors). Therefore, in the current version, the electromagnetic interfaces require that the "Material type" setting is consistent in all the features (either Solid or Non-solid) and with the frame selected in the physics node. In your model, it is sufficient to change the Material type in Ampère's Law to Non-solid.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.