Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer along open/screen interval of a borehole located in a porous media (pipe flow, darcy's law)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am trying to model heat and mass transfer in a pipe flow that is opened along two screen intervals (see attached file). For that purpose I use the non-isothermal pipe-flow interface coupled with Darcy's law and heat transfer in porous media interface.

Because of the length involved, I do not want to solve heat and flow in complete 3D along borehole and I used the 1D edge element to model the heat transfer (provided with the non-isothermal interface). It appears accounting for screened intervals is not trivial. For that I used fracture flow in porous media, which is an extension of Darcy's Law for highly conductive element. It allows the fluid to go in and out from the pipe with reference to reservoir pressure.

Therefore I had a few questions : is it the best way to account for opened interval in pipe flow ? What could be the boundary conditions related to pipe inlet/outlet and fracture flow ?

Thank you for any help you can give on this issue.
Best regards.

Morgan Le Lous

0 Replies Last Post 25.01.2016, 06:36 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Morgan Le Lous

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.