Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Why does the differential operator d(f,x) always give a zero result?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was using the semiconductor module to do device simulation. After the distribution of electrical potential V had been computed, a contour of V could be plotted. But if I typed d(V,x) into the expression box, wishing to get the x component of the gradient of V, I always got zero althrough the domain. What was wrong with it? Is there any special point I need to pay attentian?

THANKS

2 Replies Last Post 20.01.2016, 14:59 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 20.01.2016, 12:48 GMT-5
Hi

which physics are you using exactly (I do not have the semiconductor module, so I cannot check), what are you dependent variable ? If it's V then Vx = dV/dx and (Vx,Vy,Vz) are the electric potential in [V/m] these are already defined internally in COMSOL.

If you are solving for another variable than V and V is probably derived from the other variables, then it could be that d(V,x) is not defined.

In ES physics, solving for V, plotting both Vx and d(V,x) work OK

Check the doc carefully and check for each physics which are the dependent variable one are really solving for. and take a look "under the hood" by turning on the Equation view in the preferences to see the internal variables of COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi which physics are you using exactly (I do not have the semiconductor module, so I cannot check), what are you dependent variable ? If it's V then Vx = dV/dx and (Vx,Vy,Vz) are the electric potential in [V/m] these are already defined internally in COMSOL. If you are solving for another variable than V and V is probably derived from the other variables, then it could be that d(V,x) is not defined. In ES physics, solving for V, plotting both Vx and d(V,x) work OK Check the doc carefully and check for each physics which are the dependent variable one are really solving for. and take a look "under the hood" by turning on the Equation view in the preferences to see the internal variables of COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 20.01.2016, 14:59 GMT-5
I am assuming that you are using the finite volume formulation in the Semiconductor Module, where shape functions are constant, hence the zero derivatives.
Jeff
I am assuming that you are using the finite volume formulation in the Semiconductor Module, where shape functions are constant, hence the zero derivatives. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.