Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

optical waveguide excitation and port definition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have few questions about the port definition at optical waveguides. As far as I see from Comsol´s example file, two ports(excitation and output ) are required for each waveguide. In the example file, each waveguide was excited from input and someone included phase difference (pi) between two ports; someone did not. I noticed that the effective index of ports was also different.
I want to excite only one waveguide and look coupling between two waveguides but it did not work.
My questions are following:
1) Why could I not excite only one waveguide? (There are two waveguides in the simulation)
2) Is it possible to deactivate the excitation of other waveguide?
3) Why are the refractive indices of ports different, even they are same and I would like to excite with fundamental mode?
4) How does program define the sequence of ports in relative to waveguides? Which one will be Port 1, Port2 and Port 3, if I put a waveguide above two waveguides? In the example file, the port of waveguides share the same surface.

I attached an document to better visualise it. I am looking forward to getting an answer for that.

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post 15.01.2016, 10:57 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rifat Kisacik

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.